Saturday, May 24, 2008

Spend more money or spend more time?


The Great Singapore Sale is starting again. Newspapers are inundated with advertisements and offers to entice us to spend more during this period. Instead of spending money on things that we don't really need (such as badly-made toys), I'm going to spend more time with J and C this holiday. I want them to remember the times that we spend together doing things, rather than the things we accumulate over time.

Our first stop this holiday was the Singapore Botanic Gardens. We spotted interesting flowers, plants, insects and small animals. We had a great time walking and talking and laughing.

Sure - it is easier to bring them to the air-conditioned malls and let the various shops "entertain" them. But I believe that we need to spend time with our children. We need to talk to them and get to know them better.

When they are grown up, I believe that our children will remember the times we have spent together. Thanks to my dad, I still remember the many weekends we spent at Changi beach 30 years ago!

No comments: