Sunday, March 23, 2008

Be Afraid ... Be Very Afraid ...


Have you ever tried to help your kid with his spelling? There is definitely some rote learning and regurgitation going on but that is not the point I want to bring across here. I was helping C who is in Primary 3 with his spelling one day and I almost fell off my chair when I saw his spelling list.

"Dad, please test my spelling for the following words!"

Fear - alarm - panic - dread - terror - horror - fright - nightmare - trepidation - apprehension


Spelling lists have certainly come a long way since I was in school. It is good that our kids are equipped with a list of words in their arsenal so that they are ever-ready to spin off tales and poems at a drop of a coin. At least, their future in writing will be brighter than mine 30 years ago: "It was a dark and stormy night, I was alone in the cemetery and I was scared ... very very scared ..."



No comments: